RENTERS: Can you afford to buy? Use this online calculator to find out now!


(NC)—Many renters dream of taking the money they spend on rent and using it for mortgage payments. But there's

a lot more to buying and owning a home than just paying the mortgage. There are real estate and legal fees,

home inspection and moving costs, property taxes, utilities and interest rates.


One of the best ways to determine if you can realistically afford to buy a home is to sit down and crunch the numbers.

Instead of using a hand-held calculator or a pencil and paper, you can check out the new onlineRent or Buy calculator

at It's free and it gives you an instant snapshot of your potential as a home buyer.


Developed by Industry Canada, the calculator simply asks you to enter your current financial information (such as any

savings you might have, the cost of your rent and utilities, the interest rate you might get on a mortgage) and the

calculator does the rest for you. It shows you the maximum house price you can afford, the down payment needed,

your closing costs, and how much money you'll need to cover all your monthly expenses, including mortgage

payments, property taxes and utilities.


The web page also has links to other Government of Canada tips and resources on buying or renting a home and



No comments

Post Your Comment:

Your email will not be published
Reciprocity Logo The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Greater Vancouver REALTORS® (GVR), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB.